My amazing wife ordered the new biography on Cormac McCarthy for me before it even was released, it just came out this week. McCarthy is a legend and one of the best writers of our times, as I started reading it, I had to set down the autobiography/memoir by Frank Miller which I just started reading; Klay lent it to me last week. But to start Miller’s book, I had to take a break from the book on Thomas Jefferson I recently started reading. Why read all these types of books?
I enjoy reading these types of books because most of the subjects fascinate me; these people are interesting and noteworthy, sure you could say I’m a fan of these people but beyond this I think or hope I can learn life lessons from their examples. They often have a depth of expertise and they enjoy experiences that are unusual, and secretly I hope to catch some the lightning they rode. I imagine as I read about their lives, looking into the knowledge they imparted, good and bad choices they made and their habits and patterns, that somehow I can glean a little insight into the world I inhabit and perhaps implement some of their wisdom or avoid some of the pitfalls they regretted. I hope to grow as a person, to develop, and to improve along way.
And as I read these types of books, inevitably I find another book to read because the current book in my hand will reference another book that hooks my attention. The scope of my interests and my curiosity is insatiable and these book feed my mind. If I go for any period of time without reading these types of books, my brain feels like it is atrophying.
Whether you want to grow as a leader, writer, parent, or whatever pursuits you prioritize in your life, there is no substitute for soaking up good biographies and memoirs when it comes to sharpening your thinking skills or for opening new vistas for your mind. I am usually captivated by the character arc and narrative of these people’s lives, and I always learn something new and worthwhile in the process.

No comments:
Post a Comment