Saturday, December 29, 2012

Part one: My top-10 non-fiction Christian books

People ask me all the time for book recommendations.
It's impossible for me to calculated how many books I've read; perhaps in the thousands.
Still, I'm able to easily think of the books that have meant the most to me.

In no particular order (apart from the Bible) here are 10 of my favorite non-fiction Christian books:

#1. Playing with Fire, by Walt Russell.  This is a book that will help you fall in love with reading the Bible, it encourages reading the Bible like no other book I've ever seen.

#2. The Divine Conspiracy, by Dallas Willard.  This is the best book I've ever read on the meaning of discipleship.  This book has powerfully influenced the way I see Jesus' actual teachings on how He wants us to live in this life.

#3. The Blue Parakeet, by Scot McKnight.  Here's the best book on interpretation I've ever come across.

#4. The celebration of Discipline, by Richard Foster.  Here's a book filled with ideas that would take a lifetime to exhaust.  Foster unpacks the spiritual disciplines like prayer, fasting and solitude, etc. in such a way that you desire to live the Christian life to the fullest.

#5. The Universe Next door, by James Sire.  This was the book that made me feel like I was in an intellectual slumber all my life, until I read it.  This book opened up a whole new world to me, it introduced me to the idea of "worldviews" and it helped me learn how to think better.

#6. Caring Enough to confront, by David Augsburger.  If you've ever wanted to learn how to speak the truth in love, to save relationships, and how to lovingly confront people, this is the book.

#7. True for me, not true for you, by Paul Copan.  Here's a great book that addresses relativism, help you learn apologetics and it will sharpen your mind.   

#8. The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  This book weaves together community and faith in a way that inspires one to reject cheap grace and embrace the cross.

#9. Mere Christianity, by C S Lewis.  This classic unfolds the simple tenets of the Christian faith, and the common ground-principles that unite us.

#10. Knowing God, by J I Packer.  As the title suggests, this is book on the nature and character of God.

Bonus!  Here are several "runner ups" of my favorite Christian, non-fiction authors:
Lynn Anderson
Eugenie Peterson
Daniel Taylor
Fred Craddock
Donald Miller

Next time around, I might try a blog on my favorite fiction books.


No comments: