Thursday, July 2, 2015

Embracing Cuba



I didn't vote for President Obama.  And frankly, I haven't been impressed with his performance too often, I don't feel he and I share many of the same values.  Still, I am excited about the news that our relationship with Cuba is about to change, thanks to our President.  Most recent in this turn of events, I heard today we will be building embassies in each other's Capitols.  To me, this is great news!

Many people who are opposed to opening up our relationships with Cuba cite the Castro regime as an obstacle, saying we shouldn't engage with Cuba as long as they are led by a dictator.  To isolate an enemy, if Cuba can be classified as such, means to reduce any influence we could have with them down to zero.

I'm tired of hearing about our nation's military battles around the globe, so any time we can make peace with another country is refreshing to me.  And, Cuba is our neighbor.  In case you've forgotten, we are only 90 miles apart from each other.

I hope one day to vacation in Cuba with my wife.  I want to see the places Hemingway lived and wrote, I want to enjoy the food there, and I look forward to experiencing their rich culture.  I think this shift in our policy with Cuba has been a long time coming, and I can't wait to see our painful past being transformed into something new and healthy.  Well done Mr. President, well done sir.  




No comments: