Thursday, June 22, 2023

The key to succeed in Concrete Construction

Concrete is one of the toughest and most rewarding jobs on the planet, not everyone who starts out working concrete finishes strong.  What is the determining factor that separates those who make it from those who fail in our industry?

Being a second generation concrete tradesman, I'm of the opinion that the number one indicator of your  success is beyond your personal talent, drive, ambition, skill, or opportunity.  Success comes down to having a supportive spouse, one that understands the nature of our industry, and can be understanding of its demands.  


I have worked concrete in several different states and I've been involved in several different areas of concrete, from footing crews, foundations crews, flatwork crews, both residential and commercial, I have worked in both union and non-union, I had the blessing of writing for Concrete Construction (My author page at Concrete Construction) for seven years while they were still operational, and these days we own our own concrete pumping business (Our pumping website).  In all the years and in all of the different experiences, for me personally and from what I've observed in others, having a spouse that is behind you, supports you, believes in you, and can work with you in whatever their capacity is, that is the key to succeeding in concrete. 

How do we develop a relationship with our spouse that leads towards their better understanding of what we do?  Communication is vital.  My wife and I talk about everything and the everyday stuff that happens on our jobs daily, and over the years she has gained invaluable insights into concrete.  She knows all the technical jargon as well as "how to" in most all areas of placing and finishing concrete.  She has helped me pump concrete multiple times as well as finish concrete over the years.  I can honestly say I couldn't do what I do without her and I wouldn't be where I am without her.

Also, to bring your spouse along with you, it is important to attend concrete centered events, together.  My wife and I have gone to the World of Concrete together a few times.  We have gone to other concrete seminars together, we enjoy growing and learning, together.  We have grown in our appreciation of our great industry together over the years.

Another way to partner with your spouse is to introduce your spouse to other contractors, other concrete folks, and this includes the sales-folks, dispatchers, and plant managers at the ready-mix plant.  When your spouse sees themselves on the same level relationship-wise as you are with other people in our industry, they have buy-in and they are as invested in the relationships as you are.  

Bounce ideas about concrete off of your spouse, bid jobs together, set prices together.  Include each other as much as possible.  The stronger your marriage is, the better headspace you occupy.  Think of all of the time lost when co-workers go through a divorce.  Think of how non-productive folks on the crew are when they are fighting with their spouse.  

No other earthly relationship you have will influence your work like that with your spouse (not to take away from your relationship spiritually with God).  Therefore, include your spouse and involve them as much as possible, and the more you grow together in our industry the more successful you'll be.  

No comments: