Wednesday, September 11, 2013

How to remember Sept 11th eternally:



Today it seems like everyone has on tee shirts, or posted on Facebook something, to memorialize the NYC/Pentagon/PA terrorist attacks with words "Never forget"

I doubt I'll forget.  I was in a high level philosophy class in seminary when the planes hit. 
My first thoughts were of my wife & children and how I couldn't wait to get home from Lincoln to hug them.
My problem isn't the inability to remember that dark day -- the problem is remembering the proper response:

  • “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you." (Luke 6:27-28 ESV) 
  • "Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful." (Luke 6:36 ESV)
  • "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:19-21 ESV)

I love the old hippie saying, "fighting for peace is like having sex for virginity" (loose paraphrase)
I hope our patriotism and zealousness can find its proper place in the order of things eternal.  












No comments: