Saturday, September 7, 2013

Parenting is a lot like capturing a sunset...


Tonight as the sun was setting, I was wrapping up a great bike ride.  I saw the sun setting through the trees, but couldn't snap a good shot of it till I pedaled further down the road.  I pumped my pedals like a fiend.  No good, I missed the best of the sunset.  This shot isn't bad, but you should've seen sky while the sun was still on the horizon, it was breathtaking.  

Right after I snapped this shot and started to pedal my way home, it hit me.  I realized the art of parenting is like trying to take a photo of the perfect sunset.  Timing and actually being there when it happens are essential.

Over the years I've learned I don't have all the answers.  10 years ago I had all the answers and felt like an expert on parenting -- well on life in general.  Now?  Now I'm either more humble or more realistic or somewhere in between.  I'm embarrassed of the overconfidence I projected back then... 

Don't let anything get in your way of a good sunset, and, don't let the busyness of life rob you of the joy of parenting.  Be there and take it all in while your kids are under your care.  Your kids will grow up and the days of parenting will fly away as fast as a setting sun -- leaving you wondering where the time went...



No comments: