Thursday, February 6, 2014

Clarity as the dust settles

I am ready for a break from the rambling comments of the Nye-Ham debate.  After reading several comments from atheists on my blog and on Facebook, I was tempted to tweet a snarky little jab.  I was going to make a smug statement that most, the vast majority of atheists who rely on Darwinistic evolution for their proof against the existence of God, have never been in a science lab, have never dug up fossils, and have never really observed the billions of years of adaptation for the survival of the fittest -- basically they have never personally examined the evidence they claim as their own.  As soon as this sarcastic pearl entered my mind, it stopped me dead in my tracks.

I realized, as I reflected on my experience with most Christians, many believers haven't taken the time to study out their faith very well either.  It saddens me when I think of so many Christians who have never even read their Bible or who just base their beliefs on the opinions of others.  When asked to explain the basic tenets of the Christian faith, or explain why God makes the most sense, many believers stammer.   Could be our fault, we who are in ministry, perhaps we haven't equipped the flock.  Still.

I wanted to take a stab that most atheists are rejecting God on the basis they want to be free from moral restraints.  Then I realized, most Christians don't like to be moral... and when they are, many are morally obedient out of fear, not out of loving devotion...

I wanted to critique the atheistic perspective as if they alone were guilty of neglecting their personal responsibility to carefully weigh out the evidence, who couldn't really defend their worldview based on personal investigation, but the very thought slapped me in the face because so many of my own tribe who are careless.  

Until more believers take I Pet 3:15 more seriously, we need to apologize for our arrogance and judgmental attitude toward unbelievers. “But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.” (1 Peter 3:15, ESV)




No comments: