Monday, January 14, 2013

Can we love, accept and embrace sinful people?

Yesterday I preached through a couple of passages in Genesis, narratives on the Flood and Sodom & Gomorrah.  I was asking will wickedness win?  Then, in light of the "signature" sin of Sodom & Gomorrah,  I touched on the side-topic of how we as Christians have no right to be judgmental or cruel to people today who live the lifestyles associated with the story of Sodom.

The question I then posed in the sermon, ran along the lines of asking how would Jesus minister to people today, to those who live outside the revealed will of God.  I mentioned that Jesus was always truthful with people -- He was honest about the need to change and the reality of the consequences of sin.  Yet, I can't think of a single time Jesus drove sinful people way from Him, people who wanted to follow Him but stumbled along the way because of sin.

Tons of religious people got fed up with Jesus and abandoned Him, or betrayed Him.  But when did Jesus ever reject anyone that was trapped in sin and yet earnestly wanted to follow Him?  My guess is, most people who are "unchurched" but who are attracted to Jesus, will always keep the church at arm's length, until we who are "in" the church practice loving and accepting people the way Jesus did.



 

No comments: