Saturday, March 2, 2013

Loaded down by legalism...


Last Sunday I preached from Luke chapter 5, on Jesus' parable of New wine & New wineskins.  I covered how legalism interferes with our faith and that a burdensome faith was a barrier.  I shared how legalism is not trusting God to carry the freight, perhaps you had to be there: or click here to see Last week's sermon

For some reason, every day since, I have repeatedly run that sermon over in mind.  That would be a dream come true for most preachers, if the members were doing that...  Anyway.  I realized what my frustration is with legalism   Sadly, legalistic people, immersed in legalism, aren't satisfied until everyone else is a legalist too.  And, the legalist will judge you for not sharing their narrow views.  In other words, it's not enough for the legalist to trust their ability to follow the rules above all else, they are sticklers for making sure you are shackled to a set of rules, particularly their rules.  

In my mind, I imagine their rusty chains tied to a log while the legalist drags their load through the sand.  Without loyalty, but with a deep sense of duty, they have an extra set of chains they want to strap on my leg, and bind me with their load.  

Freedom in Christ is too liberating.  Trade in your rusty chains and let Jesus carry your load.  

No comments: