Monday, August 5, 2013

To be a reader:



I've loved reading for as long as I can remember.  One of my great joys as a dad was reading to our boys when they were young, and reading with them once they learned how to read for themselves.

Not all of our boys love to read, so I guess the love of reading is not genetic?  Actually, reading naturally is not a genetic trait that's passed on like verbal language skills are... the brain has to learn how to read and the brain actually is changed physiologically by learning to read.

I do not know how many thousands of books I've read, but I can't think of too many I regret reading.  Reading is by far is my favorite pastime activity.  It's more than a hobby to me, it's a lifestyle.  I never leave the house without a book, and I don't I've gone a single without reading from a book in years.

I am always trying to think of reasons I can share as to why reading is important.
So here are some random thoughts that ran across my mind today, as I considered the value of reading:

Reading says ~
You know you don't know it all.
Your mind is open to learning.
You want to be influenced. 
You want to grow, personally.
Other people have good ideas, and you'd like to hear what they have to say.
Your mind is open for transformation.






No comments: