Monday, August 26, 2013

Heart-check: Seeking God or just settling for His Word?



I'm working on a new topic of study for New Song, it's on how to study your Bible.
I love the topic, and I know a lot of people find this interesting too.
In nearly 20 years of ministry I've never led a congregation through this, so I'm very excited!

As I'm preparing, I'm aware that there is a temptation to love the Word of God more than we love God.
Sounds bizarre.  I know the temptation firsthand.  As a minister, I spend time in the Bible working on sermons, lifegroup lessons, etc, and it would be easy to only go the Scriptures when I'm working.

As a personal check of the heart, I remind myself that Jesus faced people who had a deeper allegiance with the Word of God than they did with God:
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life." (John 5:39-40 ESV)

I want to be a believer who not only knows the Word of God well, but I want to know the God who inspires the Word.  I hope our study will not be seen merely as an academic endeavor, but that our study will be a way to better understand the heart & mind of God by grasping the depths of His inspired Word.

We'll start our study on Sept 8th and we'll go for about 6 or 8 weeks in this study.
It will be on Sundays at 9:00 a.m., before our 10:00 a.m. Worship service.
Everyone is welcome to join us.

No comments: